Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Could Have Been Killed!!!

By Rose McDowell



You know that mall where people got shot out in Omaha? Well, I went to that mall back in 1993. So, it could have been me in there. I mean I didn't actually go into the mall, I just pulled in to turn around, but it still irks me that I could have been gunned down right then in there, had the kid that did it been born 15 years earlier and was outside the mall instead of inside, and it was April instead of December. It just makes you think how precious life is. I have been having a tough go at it lately.



Just last week, someone was killed in a car accident on Route 95. I mean, I travel on 95 twice a year for Thanksgiving. I drive about 30 miles on it to get to my grandmother's house and I drive 30 miles back. The exit the person got killed at was about an hour north of where I usually go. Can you believe that? How close I was to being a highway fatality?



And then this mall thing. I mean what's the world coming to? Iran has nuclear weapons, not now, but 4 years ago, maybe, but they could get them at some point. So could Trinidad and Tobago. It's scary this world. Well, I am turning over a new leaf. After this mall thing, I was so distraught at my brush with death that I took a leave of absence from work. I just told them 'personal reasons'. I didn't want everyone to worry if I was ok. Especially, my co-worker Tanya. She knows that I went near that mall a few years ago. She must be worried sick. Oh well, I have to focus on me and what my future is. With all these close calls who would blame me.



I remember zig-zagging when getting gas a few years back when that sniper was in the DC-area. Glad I did. I mean it was in the DC area and I live in Savannah, so I was only a few states away! They caught the sniper at a rest area. I go to rest areas sometimes on a long trip. Can you imagine had I been at that rest area when they were there? If they were awake in their car, they may have gunned me down. In cold blood. Me lying there lifeless.



And just last week there was that big earthquake in Illinois which stretched out Indiana, AND earthquakes in Westlake Texas all in one night. It's a good thing I stayed home that night. I was only 1500 miles from an earthquake and 1000 miles from a tornado. Hold on a minute, I'm just gonna go into the cellar, just in case they start up again. Why take the chances.



FYI, I'm in the cellar right now and I don't want to turn the lights on in case of electric fire near the hot water boiler. Who knows what could happen. So please bare with me. You may have to forgive my spelling. It's tough to type in the dark.



Anyways, I'm really shook up about the whole Virginia Tech thing from last year. God help us! I used to date a guy that went to Radford University, which is about 20 miles South of Tech. I was going to visit him about 20 years ago, but found out he was cheating on me. I was devastated until that Tech thing happened. I mean, was it fate that he cheated on me and I didn't drive to the school near the school that had a shooting 20 years later? Perhaps indeed.



I must have an angel watching over me with all these close calls. I am like a cat. I have 9 lives! It's just too much. I have an appointment with the doctor. I think I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I will let him know. Maybe he can put me on some medication. But what if I have a bad side effect? Oh god. The end could be near.