Thursday, May 1, 2008

2055: The Genesis of the Early Prog Party

The year is 2055, the place is Birmingham, England.

An elderly woman and her grandson are in the attic of a house looking through an old chest.

"Grandma, what's this?"

"Well, let me see here. That looks like a portable DVD player."

"Wow!! Do you think it works?"

"Let's go downstairs and have a look."

They walk down the attic stairs and plug it in.

"Wonder what DVD is in here." says the old woman "Go ahead and hit the eject button Davie."

Davie pushes the eject button and out comes a DVD labeled PHILLIP FOR PM.

"Oh my God!" Grandma says with an elated gasp.

"What Grandma, what?"

"This is your Great-Grandfather's DVD before he became Prime Minister of England. It is looked upon as one of the greatest political moments since Winston Chruchill spoke during World War II."

"Cool! Let's watch it!"

They crowd around the DVD player and turn the volume way up. On the screen a short, bald man full of passion, takes the podium and prepares to address a massive crowd in front of the British Parliament building.

"Is that him?"

"Yes, Davie, that is your Great-grandfather Philip."

"Ladies and Gentleman. Today is election day. So, I ask you, my fellow countrymen, to give me one more night, give me just one more night.Cause I can't wait forever. I know there'll never be a time you'll ever feel the same."

(Applause from thousands in downtown London)

"And I know it's only words. But, if you change your mind, you know that I'll be here. And maybe we both can learn."

" I know many of you reporters, and my opponent Mr. Gabriel, have been bad mouthing me during this campaign. And all I can say is that, Well you can tell everyone I'm a down disgrace, and drag my name all over the place. I don't care anymore. "

Philip pumps his fist in the air and the crowd responds with a passionate nationalism not seen since Germany in the late 1930s.

"What's important is that we all see that there's too many men, too many people, making too many problems, and not much love to go 'round. Cant you see? This is a land of confusion. Take Poverty for example. Now, poverty is an issue in the world. And on that topic, I'd like to tell you a story. It's about a lady. She calls out to the man on the street, 'Sir, can you help me? It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep. Is there somewhere you can tell me?' He walks on, doesn't look back, he pretends he can't hear her. He starts to whistle as he crosses the street, seems embarassed to be there.'"

The crowd responds with sympathy.

"This is not the Britain I know. The Britain I know would think twice. Some would say it's just another day for you and me in paradise. But I WOULD NOT!! Just think about it."

"Now, my opponent, he refuses to believe it. He will run this country into the ground. And I say to him, 'I have seen it before my friend. And I saw it with my own two eyes. So I say to him, you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been, It's all been a pack of lies!"

The crowd erupts with cheers and starts chanting Philip! Philip!

"On a lighter, more personal note, I know some of you are asking if I am elected, then who will the first lady be? Well,. There's this girl that's been on my mind all the time, Now she don't even know my name. But I think she likes me just the same. She is wonderful She has a built in ability to take everything she sees. And now it seems Im falling, falling for her. " he says shyly.

The crowd collectively awws and a single voice with a heavy British accent yells 'Congratulations' from within the crowd. Philip lifts his head back up and the passion returns to his eyes.

"I know victory is on the horizon for this campaign. I can feel it. I can feel it coming in the air tonight."

The screen goes blank.

"Wow, Grandma. I didn't know he was so great."

"A great man he was."

"Can I go play outside Grandma?"

"Sure, Davie, sure."

Davie stops at the coat rack and turns around and says to his Grandma, "Should I put on my parka?"

Grandma rises from her chair, takes off her glasses,places her hand in front of her heart and says,

"Davie, this is your Great-Grandfather's country. And as he always said, 'No Jacket Required.'"

The End.